A strange idea for apt....

Hi,
From what I understand, apt uses something like bit-torrent to update the local lists of available software... which I imagine saves time.

Was wondering, would it be possible to do something like rebuild a local deb file from whatever is on your local machine and then use rsync to update the local file to the new deb file that is on the server, rather than simply downloading a completely new file?

I imagine that most of a deb is pretty similar between releases and rsync could quite cleverly download just the deltas. This might free up a bit of network bandwidth?

I would imagine that this would mean a few things. Potentially there would be less data to download for each package. However there would be more CPU load on the server and client doing rsync style updates.

Is it possible to fiddle with this as an idea using the python apt modules ?

Thanks for any feedback.

Regards,
David