Re: Upcoming version of apt-file - using apt-acquire and incompatibilities

On Sun, 06 Dec 2015 20:17:32 +0000, Niels Thykier wrote:

> >>  * /var/cache/apt-file will disappear
> >>    - command-not-found and dh-make-perl are known consumers
> > What would you recommend as a replacement? Parse the output from
> > 'apt-file search'?
> I presume there is a reason these tools decided to by pass apt-file and
> rely on its "internal" cache.  I would be surprised in apt-file/3 had
> fixed that reason, though I would certainly be interested in knowing the
> "why".

The reason to add the chache was simply speed:

% time apt-file search Rinci.pm
librinci-perl: /usr/share/perl5/Rinci.pm
librinci-perl: /usr/share/perl5/Sah/Schema/Rinci.pm
apt-file search Rinci.pm  7.93s user 0.68s system 114% cpu 7.511 total

% time dh-make-perl locate Rinci
== dh-make-perl 0.89 ==
Using cached Contents from Mon Dec  7 01:54:34 2015
Rinci is in librinci-perl package
dh-make-perl locate Rinci  0.30s user 0.04s system 99% cpu 0.343 total

(After creating the cache, which took almost a minute but is only
needed after apt-file updates and/or once per day or something like
that.)

> Anyhow, the cache is now maintained by apt, so you are looking for the
> "apt-get indextargets" command if you want to preserve direct access to
> the "apt-file cache".
>   For perl based programs, the "contents_file_paths" from apt-file might
> be a useful inspiration for how to do that in practise.

I'll let Dam take a look into this :)

Cheers,
gregor

 : :' : Debian GNU/Linux user, admin, and developer -  https://www.debian.org/
   `-   NP: Gypsy Sun And Rainbows: Voodoo Child (Slight Return)