Re: Upcoming version of apt-file - using apt-acquire and incompatibilities

Damyan Ivanov:
> -=| Niels Thykier, 05.12.2015 12:39:36 +0000 |=-
>> In the new version of apt-file (currently in experimental), we have
>> changed/removed some features that will affect some packages.  Packages
>> listed below are BCC'ed to this mail.
>>
>> Notably:
>>
>>  * /var/cache/apt-file will disappear
>>    - command-not-found and dh-make-perl are known consumers
>
> What would you recommend as a replacement? Parse the output from
> 'apt-file search'?
>

> -- dam

I presume there is a reason these tools decided to by pass apt-file and
rely on its "internal" cache.  I would be surprised in apt-file/3 had
fixed that reason, though I would certainly be interested in knowing the
"why".

Anyhow, the cache is now maintained by apt, so you are looking for the
"apt-get indextargets" command if you want to preserve direct access to
the "apt-file cache".
  For perl based programs, the "contents_file_paths" from apt-file might
be a useful inspiration for how to do that in practise.

Thanks,
~Niels