Re: please do not remove non-Release-file repos (was Re: Moo! 9th preview of APT 1.1 released: Go and test new supercow powers)

Hi,

Quoting Thorsten Glaser (2015-09-05 23:21:47)
> >Support repositories without a release file is deprecated, and warnings will be
> >shown in such cases.

what is the rationale behind deprecating repositories without a release file?
Is it just to simplify code on the apt side? Is there a feature that only works
if all repositories have a release file?

> I assume “deprecated” means “scheduled to be removed in a future version”.
> Please don’t do that. I use this to quickly create local repositories, like
> this:
>
> cat >/var/cache/pbuilder/result/0 <<'EOF'
> #!/bin/sh
> cd "$(dirname "$0")"
> dpkg-scanpackages . >Packages
> EOF
> chmod +x /var/cache/pbuilder/result/0
> cat >/etc/apt/sources.list.d/local.list <<'EOF'
> deb [trusted=yes] file:///var/cache/pbuilder/result ./
> EOF
>
> Then I can just hit the “0” script after a build to make the build result
> available.

If you have this in a shell script anyways, can you not just also generate an
appropriate Release file with the same script?

cheers, josch