Re: apt-get update failing while moving files from lists/partial to lists

David,

Thanks for the reply!

>We check filesize and the hashsums of the file content at various stages
>to ensure we are dealing only with good valid files nobody has tempered
>with.

>You prominently mention /etc/timezone. We aren't actually using this
>file at all. I presume libc6 does, which leads me to saying that e.g.
>http assumes it can set the modification times of files it deals with
>– and read them in later runs.

I think this maybe the thread to pull on.  I missed it the first time, but it looks like the modification time is not getting set the same in both cases.  It looks like calls to utime (and other time related syscalls) are not allowed by my app on files that are on the sdcard.

So in the working case, the file decompressed has an early modification time than the file it was decompressed from.  But in the failing case the file decompressed has a slightly later modification time than the file it was decompressed from.

I am guessing the modification time is being checked at some point.  Does this sound plausible?  Regardless, it is something I will need to fix.

I think I will create a 0 sized file that shadows every file on the sdcard, to use just for storing metadata like modification time.  I had thought of this before for a different reason, but things were working ok in my test setup, so I thought I might not need this complexity.

>> anyway to get more verbose information about this failure from apt-get?

>Lets just add some debug options and hope for the best as I have no
>particular idea what could be wrong here just yet.

I will try your suggestions and see where that gets me.

Thanks again!
Corbin