Re: apt-get update failing while moving files from lists/partial to lists

Hi,

(this sounds indeed a bit weird, but I have a think for weirdos and this
sounds strangely interesting as well, so lets talk…)

On Fri, Apr 10, 2015 at 03:47:14PM -0700, Corbin Champion wrote:
> are being done on these files to make sure they are as expected?  Is there

We check filesize and the hashsums of the file content at various stages
to ensure we are dealing only with good valid files nobody has tempered
with.

You prominently mention /etc/timezone. We aren't actually using this
file at all. I presume libc6 does, which leads me to saying that e.g.
http assumes it can set the modification times of files it deals with
– and read them in later runs.

> anyway to get more verbose information about this failure from apt-get?

Lets just add some debug options and hope for the best as I have no
particular idea what could be wrong here just yet.

-o Debug::pkgAcquire::Worker=true

^ the communication between the acquire system and the individual
workers like 'http' and 'xz' doing the hard work. Its a text interface,
so if its a worker acting strangely you can run them standalone with
relative ease.

-o Debug::Acquire::http=true

^ (no, this isn't a typo) insights into the inner working of the worker.
In this case http. Some others have this as well, but might not be as
talkative as http is. It will mostly hashout requests and responses it
send/got from the server it is talking to.

I would guess you are looking for an 'URI Failure' message in the output
of the former. apt-get has the tendency to fallback from xz to bzip to
gzip to uncompressed on failure and the publicly only announces the
uncompressed failure while the rest is more or less silently ignored.

Best regards

David Kalnischkies