Re: Help! Please!

Hi,

On Mon, Jun 09, 2014 at 10:12:13PM -0400, TheByteSmasher wrote:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/xpad/+bug/1326107

Well, this bugreport doesn't include a lot of details (practically none)
and your mail isn't filled with them either, but I somehow doubt where
is much we can do to help anyway.

APT just does what it is told to do: If the package you request for
installation conflicts with an already installed package, this package
has to be removed before your request can be satisfied.

The packages declare this, so call: "apt-cache show packagename" and
look for lines starting with "Conflicts:" and "Breaks:".

You will have to ask the maintainers of the respective package why they
declare a conflict/breaks with another package, but usually they have
a "good" reason for it (like they both use the same filename for
different things and neither of them wants to use another one).

Good luck in your future hunt for knowledge! I can't part without
mentioning though that you should try to use better subject lines though
(reading the subject alone I pictured someone drowning and wondered why
the hell they send an email in such an emergency…). User-support
channels (debian-user@, forum, IRC, …) might also be a good place to
hang around. They can also help in directing you to the right place and
writing the perfect bugreport if you ever encounter one.

Best regards

David Kalnischkies