Re: --> APT's New Version <--

Thank you for the in depth answer! That was exactly what I'm looking
for. Good to know that the automatically-installed info is shared
between all of them.

Cheers,

Bastian

On 08.04.2014 12:19, David Kalnischkies wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 08, 2014 at 09:27:06AM +0200, Bastian Venthur wrote:
>> If I remember correctly aptitude and apt-get do not use the same
>> data base for keeping track of packages which where only
>> installed to fulfill dependencies of other packages. Is this
>> still true in general and specifically with apt?
>
> Let me clarify: aptitude implemented tracking of
> "automatically-installed" vs. "manually-installed" packages first.
> The feature got later backported by its author to libapt-pkg, which
> both, aptitude and apt, use. ("apt" includes in this context also
> frontends like synaptics).
>

> The question is when this was the case:
>
> apt (0.6.44.2exp1) experimental; urgency=low […] * added support
> for aptitude like auto-install tracking (a HUGE HUGE thanks to
> Daniel Burrows who made this possible) […] -- Michael Vogt
> <mvo@debian.org>  Mon,  3 Jul 2006 21:50:31 +0200
>

> aka: If you don't happen to run oldoldoldoldstable (Debian 3.1
> "sarge") this isn't true, regardless of how often it is said in
> discussions about "aptitude vs apt" – probably by people who
> weren't around at the time it was true (like myself).
>

> In reality aptitude, apt, synaptics, … share not only states, but
> also quiet a bit of code in libapt-pkg and you can mix and match
> using them as much as you might want to (which btw is also the
> reason why you can laugh about anyone who claims to have removed
> 'apt' in favor of 'aptitude' from the system).
>
> That said, there really is some state which isn't shared: aptitude
> has its own packages-on-hold state and might ignore holds set by
> others (via dpkg) at times, but that is a long-standing bug #137771
> in it.
>
> The general case is that everything is shared and if not it is a
> bug, so your Lackmus test can be: If someone says something about
> apt, but doesn't reference changelogs/bugreports, it is probably
> outdated and/or downright wrong (applies to all projects older than
> a few years though).
>

> Best regards
>
> David Kalnischkies

- --
Bastian Venthur                                      http://venthur.de
Debian Developer                                 venthur at debian org