Re: About installing packages

On Fri, Mar 22, 2013 at 11:39 AM, Rupesh Reddy
<rupeshforu3.linux@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am greedy towards installing packages on debian I mean I want to install
> maximum number of packages available in local repositories without
> inconsistency.

This is rather bad idea for debian as it contains >30.000 packages currently
and I guess at least >20.000 could co-exist on your system from a dependency
point, its just that you will have 20 browsers, 15 mailclients and 5 init
systems installed …

Nobody needs ALL of them, but many people need non-overlapping subsets of all,
so the choice is there – and I agree that this is at times overwhelming, but
that's a problem nobody has really solved just yet. It just that something
tells me that the free software world will solve this problem at some point,
so that smartphone vendors can copy that, too. ;)

> I am requesting debian devolopers and contributors to study the opensuse
> software manager and how it installs software and resolve dependencies and
> build similar.

You might want to be more specific here as I hear frequently complains about
the misery of installing stuff in rpm-systems … so much that an old APT for
rpm exists and is still kept functional (disclaimer: never used it myself,
 just looking at git). So I doubt that we are bad at everything …
(also because rpm frequently copies dpkg features, like the tilde in
 versionnumbers. Maybe not all rpms though, too many different and maybe
 incompatible rpms are in use for my taste)

There are probably areas were we could get better and I am pretty sure that
at least I am so used to some deficits that I don't notice them until someone
points them out.

So please do!

It would need a hell lot of more details than "look at opensuse" though …

Best regards

David Kalnischkies