Re: GSoC : Pluggable acquire-system for APT

On Sun, Apr 1, 2012 at 07:08, Akshaya <akshaya4r@gmail.com> wrote:
> APT'. I have no experience with open source coding but am willing to learn
> it very fast. The desired skills as specified in the ideas page is C++ and I
> have a good standing with it. I would like to know what, you as a mentor,
> suggest I do before applying.

GSoC is specifically made for introducing students to opensource work,
so don't worry if you have no experience with it yet. :)

I would suggest to just start with filling out the student template and
have a look at what other students have written as a guidance.

The desired skills are chosen as lower bound. If you know more, e.g.
other languages like python, feel free to tell us.
Maybe you have a github account. Or you publish a blog.
Drop a link to them in you application.
Maybe your a the debian guru in your hometown…
Whatever you think might be interesting for us: Write it down.

That said, trying to get started before the real start doesn't hurt either.
APT has quiet a few bugs, so if you want to pick an easy one and
fix that: Go ahead and mention it, too. You don't even have to fix it,
any action which suggests that you actually care about the project
and are not in just to get a bit of money will help your application.

All in all: Start writing your application and then come back and
ask how you could improve it. It doesn't need to be perfect on the
first try - only the final result counts. :)

Best regards

David Kalnischkies