GSoC : Pluggable acquire-system for APT

This is R.Akshaya. I'm doing my B.Tech Bioinformatics in VIT Universty, India. I have a love for coding but my knowledge of programming languages is confined to C,C++ and perl. I also know HTML, MySQL and CGI scripting. I'm planning to apply for the proposed project 'Pluggable acquire-system for APT'. I have no experience with open source coding but am willing to learn it very fast. The desired skills as specified in the ideas page is C++ and I have a good standing with it. I would like to know what, you as a mentor, suggest I do before applying. Please reply as soon as possible.

--
Akshaya