Re: any idea when apt 0.8.16 would land up in sid ?

in-line :-

2012/3/20 David Kalnischkies <kalnischkies+debian@gmail.com>:

<snipped>
> You are a bit impatient, right? ;)

Hi David,
   umm............ the proper answer would be perhaps .... yes ;) . At
the outset just telling it is going to be a longish one so if people
do tl;dr I would understand :)

> I haven't had the time to check dpkg yet, but while it seems to have
> changed a bit it seems to be at least stable in the most important
> parts. I am e.g. a bit worried about the --get/set-selection change,
> but we will see. It's at least not a very important regression.

I don't know much about the dpkg --set-selection/get-selection other
than it is/was (depending on where you are atm stable,testing or sid)
it provided a nice way to figure out the system state and transfer
your package selections from one system to another. This is/was the
simplest way to have a sort of backup of your statement . If there
is/was anything more than that it would be nice to know.

> We will ask shortly (hopefully not in the dpkg sense) the >release team  for a slot, then we can be specific about that. >Until then: soon (might be in the dpkg sense).

Had come to similar conclusions. Its just that for somebody from
outside it's harder to know the things (Even after looking at the bzr
logs as usually people are told these are the places SCM or/and
mailing lists or/and blogs to figure out when the next one is coming.)

> You are interested in pdiff for Translation files, right?
> Anything else? If the release team has no slot in the near
> future we might have the time for a "backport" of some stuff in
> the meantime (that is NOT a promise, just a try to make you
> a bit more relaxed)

 The thing is with the translation pdiff change it just has become
more annoying to update the index. I do it at 2 or 3 times a day and
whenever I do the translation pdiff comes to bite me. Don't get me
wrong though, I understand the reason why the Package $locale
descriptions are now a separate package (in a sense) and think it's a
great move not just for Debian but  I guess for all debian-based
distributions as the hit on that mirrors would be that much smaller
making it either cheaper or using that saved bandwidth maybe for more
development (as in more build boxes or something else altogether) .I
do know that Debian has a vast infrastructure so I'm sure any
bandwidth saved is a win. I repeat this is not to pressurize anyone to
do anything in particular, while of course I would be
delighted/relaxed if the pdiff thing is implemented soonish I am not
gonna hold my breath, you have explained well :).

On another note though, I wish that could have been even more savings
if the Debian package itself split into a base package and
translations for package were a different package. I do know that
localepurge does the same thing but it kinda breaks if I'm using
debdelta and I use debdelta quite a lot. I *think* something
similar/same was proposed but was either thought to be impractical or
was not looked kindly by the il8n team (I have absolutely no idea if
it was proposed and if yes then the reasons why it was deemed either
impractical or/and not good from whoever.) I do vaguely remember
reading some discussion on this sometime ago (maybe a year plus or
more) so can't be sure of that. Sorry for that unrelated rant but
can't help.

> APT used to use CVS in its beginning, was then converted to GNU arch
> and with its deprecation converted to bazaar (this is guess work, i wasn't
> present at any of these conversations).
> It's in so far connected to Canonical as many APT developers were or are
> Canonical employees (now). That can be easily explained as Canonical
> has a big interest in package management to work. Currently that is Michael,
> who is also responsible for other more high-level tools like software-center.
> (before you ask: no i am not on their payroll. I am an university student -
>  but Canonical invites me from time to time to join their developer summits
>  to discuss apt-related topics, so i might be biased, your choice)
>
> I don't think that this has anything to do with the choice of bzr through,
> as while Canonical has chosen to use it as her VCS and has also a few
> developers in that area it's an official blessed GNU project - as was
> GNU arch which is the sort-of predecessor. So i guess at some point it
> was decided to go with 'GNU arch' and later to "upgrade" to its successor.
> I haven't checked but i guess the decision for GNU arch was made
> before git was released (maybe even also the bzr step, as it seems to be
> a few months older than git).
>
> Either way, i don't think the choice of version control system is all that
> important, but this might be due to the fact that i never used git (seriously)
> so far as all projects i work on are either in bzr, hg or svn…
> (and i tend to use a small wrapper script abstracting from the actual vcs
>  as all i need is usually update/pull, diff, log and commit…)
>

> Funfact:
> While you are waiting for APT in unstable you can look at statistics
> like this one: http://upsilon.cc/~zack/stuff/vcs-usage/
> It's a bit unfair as this talks about the usage of vcs'es for packaging
> which isn't necessarily also the vcs of upstream, but non the less…

As I explained before it was my first experience of seeing bzr use
within the Debian ecosystem. Later I have been pointed out the
existence of http://anonscm.debian.org/loggerhead/ which gives a
listing of the packages. I was under the impression that most of the
Debian Development was happening using GIT nowadays. For e.g. I know
the debian-in team did a migration from svn > git some months ago, it
was painful but they did it. I was under the impression that it would
be same/similar all over but obviously I am/was wrong. And before you
point you that perhaps its a good thing to have different VCS's or SCM
is good it doesn't affect me one way or the either. It was just
something I observed. I'm sure I jumped the gun quite a bit on this
one but I guess it was better to have asked it out in the open rather
than have misunderstandings lurking somewhere. Both the history (or
your take of it) and the fun-fact you linked to does make it both for
interesting reading and also something that could be used when sharing
stuff about Debian. Thank you for the pointer on that. Hope it was not
too long ;).

--
          Regards,
          Shirish Agarwal  शिरीष अग्रवाल