Re: Prepending parent values in Configuration::FindFile

Hello again, too :)

On Sun, Jan 22, 2012 at 08:45, Daniel Hartwig <mandyke@gmail.com> wrote:
> Is there some reason why FindFile stops prepending parent values at
> the first parent with an empty value?

That's a good question. I don't see a real reason for it beside that
it is this way since 2001 - before there was no parent-walk.
I will ask Michael then he is back, but i guess it's a bug we can fix.

> I ask because aptitude makes an attempt at using this mechanism to
> locate it's state files, however, wishes also to keep a somewhat
> distinct namespace:
>
>  Dir "/srv/sid";
>  Dir::State "var/lib/apt";
>  Dir::Aptitude "";
>  Dir::Aptitude::State "var/lib/aptitude";

I haven't tested it, but as a workaround it should be possible to
set Dir::Aptitude="."; so that paths like /srv/sid/./var/lib/aptitude
are returned by current FindFile implementation.

Best regards

David Kalnischkies