Re: Keep important/required packages installed.

On Tue, Dec 13, 2011 at 00:20, dE . <de.techno@gmail.com> wrote:
> Gentoo has a world file in /var/lib/portage/world which contains a list of
> packages which where are manually installed. Like with Debian, Gentoo too
> has important system packages installed like bash, gcc etc... etc... etc...
> These packages are not listed in /var/lib/portage/world, but still when
> Gentoo checks for orphan packages, it doesn't remove these important system
> packages; as a consequence, these important packages dont have to be listed
> in the world file, keeping it clean and making it easy to see which packages
> where manually installed for the purpose of housekeeping.

Required and Essential packages aren't autoremoved on debian either, but their
state is recorded as her status might change. Not autoremoving important
and below packages means we keep unnecessary cruft. I for example don't
have aptitude nor nano installed as i don't use them, so why keeping them?

What could be done is allowing to do filtering on the list-output by showing
only optional manual-installed packages if requested, and i think aptitude
supports filters to allow this. APT currently doesn't - patches
welcome of course.

Best regards

David Kalnischkies