Re: [Aptitude-devel] About the status and plans for aptitude

2011/11/29 Daniel Hartwig <mandyke@gmail.com>:
> The BTS is also an issue, as the central source of information
> relating to the state of the code it is critical to keep it updated.
> I have performed some investigating, merging, and general cleanup, but
> stopped short of actually closing [1] bugs.  At the time I preferred
> to leave such to the maintainer so that he has the chance to review.
> Now I think that it might be easier for everyone to just have those
> `no longer valid' bugs closed with a brief note.  What do others think
> about doing this?
>
> [1] http://wiki.debian.org/BugTriage#Closing_unreproducible_bugs

I think that it's safe to close them, at least the ones that I looked at.

I did with this one yesterday:

> I think the only thing going forward is to just start working on the
> code and BTS.  If a few of us can provide patches for some of the more
> serious issues, at least that is something to work from and for people
> to review.
>
> This was, and remains, my plan of action.  Whether time permits much
> activity is something we will find out in the future :-)

Well, I think that one needs commit access to some repository, to work
comfortably and not with patches flying around in BTS for years.

I don't know if the current repository is the better place, maybe
dburrows doesn't want other people in the repository, and I myself
don't feel totally capable of undertaking/leading what it seems a
major task to me.  In addition, in this case we need somebody within
Debian with proper permissions to set up things for us.

OTOH forking a new project maybe it's not very productive, and we
cannot close the original bug reports, and it wouldn't be until quite
some time that people started to use the new project, and only if it's
sucessful and noticeably better.

So I am interested in the opinion of more experienced Debian folks in this list.

Regards.