Re: Designing support to filter Packages/Sources file on download

On Sat, Jun 11, 2011 at 08:44, Goswin von Brederlow <goswin-v-b@web.de> wrote:
> So I'm inviting you all to come up with ideas to implement this better.

I thought about this at the time of my gsoc already and
my personal preference would be dropping sections at parsing time.

Modifying the downloaded file has the downsize that you can never reuse
these files e.g. for pdiffs as you said. In an optimal world we parse these
files only one time anyway (as its cached in srcpkgcache.bin then).

The disadvantage is that tools who parse these files independently will
return results apt-cache wouldn't display, but i am not even sure if that
is not even an advantage…

It means also that you can change your mind and ignore different
stuff without redownloading everything. You just need to reparse then.
Which means you can add a commandline flag to ignore the ignores
temporary which is impossible if you modify the files.

An implementation will properly move debListParser::Step out of
deb/deblistparser.cc into the global space which currently skips only
"incorrect" architectures, but could do more.

So, the much more interesting question is how to provide a relatively
sane interface to this feature - the implementation shouldn't be that hard
(i know, i know, famous last words).

Best regards

David Kalnischkies