Re: Speeding Up APT - Project Idea

Hi David,

I noticed that this idea has been around in the discussions sine some
time [1]. This feature(and other related features) has been requested
by many users from time to time, and, if implemented, that can be one
of major improvements of APT and serve many requirements of different
types of users.

> Splitting up downloading and installing into smaller chunks on the
> other hand should need 'only' changes in APT and the current download
> system is designed to download packages in the required order, so
> you 'just' need to find the right position where you can start a
> parallel install process…

Currently, when apt queues the archives for downloading, does it order
them in the same order that it feeds them into dpkg (i.e. is it same
as the actual installation order)? Or does it use some other ordering?

>> etc.. Also they had mentioned about the official adoption of debdeltas
>> for Debian.
>
> That is another interesting thing. The problem is currently that a download
> method doesn't get to know which version of the package is currently
> installed (if any) which is needed as far as i understand it to repack
> a package to apply the debdiff to… but yeah, nothing which would be
> impossible to solve i guess.

Yes. If I have not mistaken, Ubuntu has already started implementing
this. As I learned from the dpkg community, if it is already
implemented, most of the code is in place already for Debian, and the
remaining work includes,

   " * get Debian ftpmasters to accept the idea
     * work with ftpmasters to implement the debdelta generation for
       the main archive
     * work with the mirrors team to get the delta files mirrored on
       all main mirrors
     * work with the apt maintainers to have apt support debdeltas,
       when available, on by default "

>> Currently I am learning the internals of APT and looking
>
> I think the best way to get to know your way around is to tackle some
> bugs - the good thing is that you have a lot to choose from¹ - which also
> helps to prove to the gsoc admins that you know what you are talking about
> which increases your changes to be accepted into the program.
> (just as a general hint)
>
> ¹ the first time i consider this a good thing… ;)

Thanks for the tips :). I first read the idea on last year's ideas
list page and when I tried to get started with a little bug, I saw
this[1]. So I thought of working on it since I thought it was talking
about almost the same idea.

>> would like to know your ideas and suggestions about these projects and
>> other new project ideas that you would have related to APT and package
>> management.
>
> Good question! Zero-bug-count would be cool²… ;)
> More seriously, i thought already in my proposal last year about a way
> to exclude packages from being included in the binary cache which could
> be used e.g. on servers to exclude gnome and kde packages from
> even be parsed into the caches which speeds up the dependency
> checking which can be quiet noticeable on slower devices.
>
> Can't think about other gsoc-fitting projects now, but its pretty late in
> my timezone now, so maybe after the weekend…
>
> ² just said to fix the balance in the universe again after ¹
>

> Best regards
>
> David Kalnischkies
>
> P.S.: I noticed that you were cc'ed to all mails on dpkg list, so i cc'ed
> you here, too, but the normal case is to not do this if not requested
> by the sender -- see code of conduct of debian lists.

It is completely OK.

Thank you for your reply.

Regards,
Ishan Jayawardena.