Speeding Up APT - Project Idea

Hi,

I would like to do a project under APT for this year's summer of code
program. I am mainly interested in contributing to APT and similar
projects related to package management like python-apt, and software
center.I went through the last year's ideas list of Debian[1] and
found some project ideas interesting. Those are the streaming package
installation for apt/dpkg[2] and multicast apt[3]. I also wrote to the
debian-dpkg list about my interests and received couple of feedback.
They had mentioned some suggestions for speeding up the installation
process of apt such as, the usage of self-contained batches of
packages, doing parallel downloads, running dpkg in parallel with apt
etc.. Also they had mentioned about the official adoption of debdeltas
for Debian. Currently I am learning the internals of APT and looking
into the possibilities of speeding up the installation process. I
would like to know your ideas and suggestions about these projects and
other new project ideas that you would have related to APT and package
management.
I am looking forward to your reply.

Thank you.

[1] http://wiki.debian.org/SummerOfCode2010