Re: [APT2] Initial public push

Hi Julian,

2010/8/11 Julian Andres Klode <jak@debian.org>:
> Today, I am opening the source code for APT2. APT2 is a LGPL-2.1+
> licensed, multi-distribution[1], package management solution consisting
> of a library (apt-2.0) and a command-line frontend (capt); both
> implemented in C.

Good luck & success with your project!

But…

> You should not confuse this APT2 with the previous attempt last year.

Please do yourself and everybody else a big favor: Rename it.

APT2 sounds more like a fullfeatured and fullworking dropin replacement
for the long known APT than a complete (and currently incomplete)
rewrite which handles some stuff differently -- even if it is only a different
library requirement through i guess its more (planned)…

I wouldn't publish my new shiny (and much better) desktop environment
with the name GNOME4, KDE5, XFCE2 or LXDE1½ for the same reason
even if it would behave nearly the same way as one of those…

> The capt tool is the command-line front-end to the library. It is an
> all-in-one tool similar to capt.

Same story, even you confused cupt and capt in this sentence…

I would personally be more happy to see more people working on the
original than on his nearly uncountable reimplementations and forks,
but we are talking about free software so i can't nor i want to force anyone.
(and i am talking not only about APT with this sentence…)

C + glib and C++0x (cupt rewrite) aren't as far away from C++ as vala and perl
were so maybe the projects can benefit at least a bit from each others code.

Best regards,

David Kalnischkies

P.S.: The Build-Depends doesn't indicate that you need
to have libapt-pkg-dev installed to build it from source
(for whatever reason it is needed, it at least complains about it
and the resulting capt is linked against it).