Freeze: APT, Software Center, and other stuff [Was: Re: Bits from the (chilly) release team]

On Fr, 2010-08-06 at 14:44 +0100, Neil McGovern wrote:

> Current status
> ==============
>
> As mentioned in the previous mail, we would freeze when various
> transitions are completed or being handled. We now feel that this stage
> has been reached. This means that we have stopped the automatic
> migration of packages from unstable to testing.
>
> In other words, Squeeze has frozen. Thanks are due to everyone who has
> helped get us to this point.
>

> Perhaps that's too subtle:
>      _==_ _
>    _,(",)|_|    *** Frosty says Squeeze is FROZEN. ***
>     \/. \-|     (He's in Austrailia, as it's winter there -
>   __( :  )|___  that's what the shovel is for, sandcastles)
>

> Don't Panic!
> ============
>
> Even though Squeeze has frozen, that doesn't mean it's impossible to get
> your changes into Squeeze.
>
> Now to explain what, exactly, we mean by "freeze".  The freeze upload
> policy of uploading changes in through unstable if possible will be
> continued to apply until the release.
>
> Packages that are present in unstable today will be automatically
> allowed into testing; this does not mean your package should be in
> testing by now, but only in unstable.
>
> If your package has a particular change that you feel really, really
> needs to make the release, talk to us and we can discuss it.
A few comments here

APT (keep deity@l.d.o in CC for this)
=====================================
Will the APT 0.7.26 transition still be started? (mvo reported it in
April, 579795) [and it can fix potential segfaults in python-apt].

python-apt
-----------

I have code for a new python-apt release in bzr, fixing a few bugs;
nothing problematic:
 debian/changelog               | 20 ++++++++++++++++++++
 doc/source/conf.py             |  9 +++++++--
 doc/source/library/apt_pkg.rst |  9 +++++++++
 python/apt_pkgmodule.cc        |  2 ++
 python/configuration.cc        | 17 ++++++++++++++++-
 python/tag.cc                  |  5 +++++

I also want to push the version to 0.7.100 for the Squeeze release, but
this is purely cosmetic (as 0.7.9X were meant as preview releases).

GNOME High-level package management
====================================

app-install-data
----------------
As usual before a release, app-install-data needs a new upload in order
to integrate the desktop files in the squeeze release; otherwise, some
packages may not be listed in the Software Center or the install
functionality of nautilus.

A new upload is created by downloading the packages in squeeze and
extracting the .desktop files and relevant icons and putting them into
the package (that's why I don't update the package very often, it just
takes a large amount of time).

I could upload a new version in the next days, and probably a second one
after some time, in order to not miss packages which migrated after the
first upload.

software-center
---------------
Still needs updates to remove Ubuntu/Canonical specific stuff from the
documentation (#564276)

Others
======
ndiswrapper
-----------
I guess the ndiswrapper in unstable should be blocked again, the only
additions it contains are broken support for kernel 2.6.35 (I did not
expect the freeze now, so I thought it might be nice to have for users
running newer kernels).

--
PS: For non APT related things, there is no need to CC deity@l.d.o, only
me.

--
Julian Andres Klode  - Debian Developer, Ubuntu Member

See http://wiki.debian.org/JulianAndresKlode and http://jak-linux.org/.