Re: Welcome to our 2010 Debian Google Summer of Code students!

Hello deities :)

You have it maybe already read on d-d-a [0] or even d-d, but just in case:

2010/4/26 Obey Arthur Liu <arthur@milliways.fr>:
> == Multi-Arch support in APT ==
> by David Kalnischkies, mentored by Michael Vogt
>
> Hardware like 64bit processors are perfectly able to execute 32bit
> opcode but until now this potentiality is disregard as the
> infrastructure tools like dpkg and APT are not able to install and/or
> solve dependencies across multiple architectures. The project
> therefore focuses on enabling APT to work out good solutions in a
> MultiArch aware environments without the need of hacky and partly
> working biarch packages currently in use.

After a few days now i guess i am slowly accepting that the section
above refers to me, which was a bit surreal in the first few days.
I am slowly getting used to being shocked every other week, i guess… ;)

Credits for the last time can be given to Mr. l18n and Mr. italian overlord
and their unexpected support mails [1] - and also to all debian-gsoc involved
peers who were crazy enough to think they should try it with me as student.
Thanks from my side! Let us hope i am able to fulfill your expectations.

Anyway, the time line says that i (or we) are now in a process called
"Community bonding", so this is your second ultimate chance to ask me
everything you want to know about the proposal, me or "stuff".

A few infos are already collected so we don't need to start from zero,
just see my mail at the soc-coordination mailing list [1].
MultiArch interested peers should also check the current apt/experimental
versions, my apt branch [2], the README.MultiArch [3] (shipped in apt-doc)
and the MultiArch bugreport. [4]
Further more i have created a little weblog mostly for my own activity log
proposes, but you might also find it interesting in the upcoming weeks. [5]

In the next days i will try to write a bit more documentation about the
current state of the implementation and the idea behind it with the small
hope that some parts of the tactic can be applied in dpkg and/or other
package managers also so we don't need to reinvent the multiwheel -
and to show the upper stack package managers based on apt what they
can do now to get their apps MultiArch "ready" - so any questions you might
have could help me in writing useful docs - which should be in your interest. ;)

Best regards / Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

David Kalnischkies

[0] http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2010/04/msg00015.html
[1] http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/soc-coordination/2010-April/000771.html