Re: apt gpg keys/signatures

Hi Goswin

On Wednesday 07 Oct 2009 10:10:45 Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> Which is what I said. You just put the files into /var/lib/apt/lists/
> under the right name and apt assumes they check out. It doesn't
> actualy verify them any more once they passed the initial verify and
> left /partial/.
>
> Then, to get apt to parse the files you placed there you run
>
>   apt_get --no-download update
>
> That should blindly accept the files as trusted.

This was exactly what I was doing earlier. I was writing them directly to
/var/lib/apt/lists. Only with the exception that I was skipping the
Release.gpg files.
The downloaded files are archive files, so I was extracting them and then
writing. And then if I did "apt-get upgrade", it would complain of untrusted
sources.
Perhaps if I allowed apt-get to do the extraction, it would have marked them
as trusted.

Anyway, what I have ended up with looks good. Doing a secure check of the apt
updates should be good. :-)
Actually this will help a lot. Person A gives apt-offline signature to Person B
(A friend, running Windows) to download it for him. Person B downloaded
something and returned back to Person A. At this point PersonA has an option
to be ensured that the data he is going to sync to apt is really from Debian
or not.

Regards,
Ritesh
--