Re: [RFC] CMake branch at 90%

Am Mittwoch, den 02.12.2009, 22:18 +0100 schrieb David Kalnischkies:
> (resending it again against the mailing list,
> as i accidentally sent it only to Julian. Sry. )
>
> 2009/11/24 Julian Andres Klode <jak@debian.org>:
> > Dropped:
> >    - Pregeneration of documentation
> >      + We always build-depended on xmlto and po4a.
> Let me note that you can eliminate the use of xmlto with direct
> depending on and using of xsltproc which the original buildsystem
> used for building the manpages.
I believe that xmlto is the better solution here, or am I wrong?

> btw: As you use docbook directly in the Documentation.cmake you
> should depend on it, as it is not pulled in every case ( #556471 ).
We'll see. I will most probably take a closer look at the build-time
dependencies later. But the only docs I build are debiandoc, and
DocBook/XML; I don't build the old DocBook docs.

> > Missing:
> >    - dselect/ is not installed at the moment
> let me add at least:
> - all examples/ for package apt
> - all files which should be dropped into /etc/apt
> - the bugscript and
> - the lintian override
> diffing the new against the old file list will maybe show more
> missing files, i only looked for the most obviously once.
Those are all packaging changes I believe and can be added easily. BTW,
dselect is now added (although not in debian/apt.install which makes
dh_install fail at the moment [it's run with the --fail-missing
parameter])

> The https-example (which is not installed currently)
> should btw either moved to the https package or
> (which i think would be better in the long run) converted to
> a manpage as this could be translated...
I don't care about it, I only care about the code and the buildsystem.
If you want to do it, you can do it.

> > Not working:
> >    - German, French doc translations -> po4-generated files have
> >      syntax errors (hopefully not my fault)
> Even with fixed po4a-files it doesn't work for these languages.
> Only the apt.8.gz manpage is created, all others are missing.
> Also every manpage is build for ja, even manpages which should
> be dropped because of too few translated strings.
> (at least they are dropped by the old system)
The french ones build now. I am actually using -k0 on the manpages as
otherwise CMake would fail because the output file does not exists.

> Not working is also the feature detection for
> HAVE_STRUCT_STATFS_F_TYPE which was introduced
> with rev1831.1.13 of the debian-sid branch before 0.7.23
> which fixed bug #509313 .
Does Nexenta need it, or why do have to care about OpenSolaris stuff? I
already dropped support for HP-UX for example.

> > Building:
> >        mkdir build
> >        cd build
> >        cmake ..
> >        make
> A (horrible outdated) README.make is included in the source,
> maybe noting the usage there? (the README.arch has the same
> propose, so dropping this also should be possible)
Actually updates to readme are step 4 in the plan. The first is to
cleanly introduce the new buildsystem by file additions only, the second
is to change the packaging to use it and the third is the removal of the
old buildsystem. The build documentation would be removed in the third
step and new would be added in a fourth step.

> And finially a more personal thing:
> I realize that it is possible to build subdirectories with the combo
> make -C ../build apt-pkg  -- for example, but i personally would be
> really happy if i could simply "make" in the current directory,
> especially as target-names and build rules differ sometimes.
> I guess this would also please "simple" editors like vi and their
> "make" commands.

You could also run cmake in the tree and call bzr clean-tree afterwards
to cleanup the tree. But actually CMake is usually run in
subdirectories. I have plans to add a short top-level makefile which
provides some targets like build, (update-)po, (update-)doc/po.

> Maybe someone who actually does understand cmake
> can comment on more things...
The KDE people use CMake and might be able to tell a bit more. I have
never used it before, but it seems to work perfectly.

> Best regards / Mit freundlichen Grüßen,
>
> David "DonKult" Kalnischkies
Thanks for sharing your thoughts about the CMake buildsystem.

--
Julian Andres Klode  - Debian Developer, Ubuntu Member

See http://wiki.debian.org/JulianAndresKlode and http://jak-linux.org/.