Re: [RFC] CMake branch at 90%

(resending it again against the mailing list,
as i accidentally sent it only to Julian. Sry. )

2009/11/24 Julian Andres Klode <jak@debian.org>:
> Dropped:
>    - Pregeneration of documentation
>      + We always build-depended on xmlto and po4a.
Let me note that you can eliminate the use of xmlto with direct
depending on and using of xsltproc which the original buildsystem
used for building the manpages.

btw: As you use docbook directly in the Documentation.cmake you
should depend on it, as it is not pulled in every case ( #556471 ).

> Missing:
>    - dselect/ is not installed at the moment
let me add at least:
- all examples/ for package apt
- all files which should be dropped into /etc/apt
- the bugscript and
- the lintian override
diffing the new against the old file list will maybe show more
missing files, i only looked for the most obviously once.

The https-example (which is not installed currently)
should btw either moved to the https package or
(which i think would be better in the long run) converted to
a manpage as this could be translated...

> Not working:
>    - German, French doc translations -> po4-generated files have
>      syntax errors (hopefully not my fault)
Even with fixed po4a-files it doesn't work for these languages.
Only the apt.8.gz manpage is created, all others are missing.
Also every manpage is build for ja, even manpages which should
be dropped because of too few translated strings.
(at least they are dropped by the old system)

Not working is also the feature detection for
HAVE_STRUCT_STATFS_F_TYPE which was introduced
with rev1831.1.13 of the debian-sid branch before 0.7.23
which fixed bug #509313 .

> Building:
>        mkdir build
>        cd build
>        cmake ..
>        make
A (horrible outdated) README.make is included in the source,
maybe noting the usage there? (the README.arch has the same
propose, so dropping this also should be possible)
And finially a more personal thing:
I realize that it is possible to build subdirectories with the combo
make -C ../build apt-pkg  -- for example, but i personally would be
really happy if i could simply "make" in the current directory,
especially as target-names and build rules differ sometimes.
I guess this would also please "simple" editors like vi and their
"make" commands.

Maybe someone who actually does understand cmake
can comment on more things...

Best regards / Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

David "DonKult" Kalnischkies