Re: URLs of installed packages

Jörg Sommer wrote:
>> No, first package has the installation candidate itself - it's installed
>> version. Yes, there is other question why it hasn't failed to reinstall it, it
>> would be good to see 'apt-cache policy pkg1' to make sure there was no other
>> installation candidates.
>
> pkg1 is a fake package. It doesn't exist in the Debian archive nor
> anywhere else. That's why I used this name.
I understand, I was asking about 'apt-cache policy <pkg1>', where <pkg1> is
some real package.

>> Package pkg2 has really no installation candidates, so package pkg2 really
>> can't be reinstalled. I believe this behavior is right.
>
> Then the re‐installation of pkg1 should fail, too.
Yes, if the same version as installed doesn't available from anywhere else.

>> '--ignore-missing' has other meaning: it ignores the (versions of) packages
>> that cannot be retrieved due to some reason, but available in Packages.
>
> But isn't this the same case here? Apt should ignore the packages it
> can't fetch from the archive.
Yes, but "can't fetch from", not "doesn't exist in".

> So I ask a different question: How can I get the URLs of packages,
> maybe known to apt. It would good if apt silently ignores packages it
> doesn't know of.
>
> My goal is to get the original file in /etc as they come with the
> package.
You ought to find original .deb for package and install it / fetch the file
manually then. 'apt-cache policy' will tell you about all versions of package
apt knows of.

> And a different question: Can I tell apt to remove only the packages
> given as option? I've a script that runs apt-get with --yes, but I don't
> want to remove other packages than those given as option.
>
> apt-get --no-remove remove $PKG
>
> sounds silly, but it could tell apt to not select automaticly packages
> for removing.
If you selected some package for removing, all packages that depends on it
must be removed, this is unavoidable. Or you are speaking about no-removing of
automatically installed packages?

Ukrainian C++ Developer, Debian Maintainer, APT contributor