Re: PoC-patch for 'apt without MMap'

Steve Cotton wrote:
>> This patch is built on top of my 'debian-experimental-jackyf' branch, which can be found
>> at 'bzr+ssh://jackyf-devel@bazaar.launchpad.net/%7Ejackyf-devel/apt/debian-experimental/'
>> address.
>
> Hi Eugene,
>
> https://code.launchpad.net/apt
> says that branch either has errors or hasn't been pushed to yet.
Yes, it gave me exact this error. I pushed some more revisions, and now web page see
changes, hope it's reachable now, please try.

> FYI, what I'm intending to do with it:
> I had a look at the MMap bugs around the time that you posted your
> nommap-v1 mail, and found some related code that would always
> crash if called.  It's
>   debDpkgDB::ReadyPkgCache
> which your patch fixed so that it didn't crash.  I think it's
> unused by anything in Debian (except by a couple of test scripts
> in Apt itself), and did a patch that's +5 -890 lines of code.
>
> I'd like to port that on top of your changes, and submit it if
> it's still relevant.
>
> The patches on top of debian-sid 1743 are attached, omitting the
> big one that's just deleting
>   apt-inst/database.cc
>   apt-inst/database.h
>   apt-inst/deb/dpkgdb.cc
>   apt-inst/deb/dpkgdb.h
>   test/scratch.cc
>   test/testextract.cc
I am fine with throwing out unneeded code, however I don't know nor apt-inst/ nor test/
directories enough to judge what was meaning of this code and is it relevant to stay in
apt. CC'ed Michael, hope he can do this better.

In case of positive answer I will apply your changes on top of mine ones.

Ukrainian C++ developer, Debian Maintainer, APT contributor