Re: apt without MMap

Luca Bruno wrote:
> What changes for other tools other than apt-get? For example, apt-cache?
Those that are shown in first letter: every apt-cache call will have build
cache in memory during the near fixed time (unless you will add/delete
something not small in your sources.list), then work with cache as usual, but
faster.

For example, 'apt-cache show mutt' call will use ~99% of time to build a
cache, then 1% to look into it.

Another example - earlier mentioned 'apt-cache search <regex>'. Both results
in table are ~1.5s, so old apt need 1.5s to search within cache. New apt need
~0.7s to build cache, then only ~0.8s to search.

So, yes, the main (and the only?) noticeable regression is 'apt-cache'
invokes. And it would take seconds on old machines with new apt and modern
package lists to call apt-cache. Plus, more package entries -> more time to build.

In case my patch will be applied for 0.8.x, I will also try to do more
speed-related optimizations (I've already made several ones in patch) to
reduce cache build time.

Ukrainian C++ Developer, Debian APT contributor