Re: problem with APT pinning

martin f krafft <madduck@debian.org> writes:

> I verify these pins with `apt-cache policy`, but get a surprising
> result:
>
>   seamus:~> apt-cache policy bzr                                            [303]
>   bzr:
>     Installed: 0.8~200602200207
>     Candidate: 0.8~200602281718
>     Package Pin: 0.8~200602281718
>     Version Table:
>       0.8~200602281718 50
>           500 http://people.ubuntu.com ./ Packages
>   *** 0.8~200602200207 50
>           100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
>       0.7-2 50
>           500 http://mouth.voxel.net ./ Packages
>
> In all cases I've previously encountered, the three asterisks would
> always correspond to the version identified on the /^Candidate:/
> line. In the above case, however, it's different.
>
> Can someone shine some light on what's going on? Could this be
> related to the use of ~ in the version number?

Can you try pining the whole of http://people.ubuntu.com to 50 instead
of a per package pin?

Usualy the localy installed package has a pin of 100 so pins below 100
don't upgrade automatically. In your output I see that the local
source has pin 100, the ubuntu source pin 500 and the specific
packages have all pin 50 (thats the per package pin, right?).

So the latest ubuntu package wins out overall.

> And while we're at it, what's the meaning of the three asterisks, if
> it's not identifying the candidate?

*** denotes the currently installed package:

mrvn@storage:~% apt-cache policy tar
tar:
  Installed: 1.14-2
  Candidate: 1.14-2.1