problem with APT pinning

[This message was original sent to the deity/APT development list,
but in 10 days it has not gotten a reply. Maybe someone here can
help]

Hi all,

I am experiencing a problem related to upgrades, external archives,
and APT pinning. The following line in my sources.list gives me
access to daily bzr snapshots:

  # bzr 0.8pre
  deb http://people.ubuntu.com/~jbailey/snapshot/bzr ./

Every day, a new snapshot comes around. I don't want them to be
updated automatically, so I tried to add the proper pins to the APT
preferences file:

  # bzr updates daily, we don't want automatic updates with cron-apt
  Package: bzr
  Pin: release o=Jeff Bailey,l=Jeff Bailey
  Pin-Priority: 50

  # bzrtools updates daily, we don't want automatic updates with cron-apt
  Package: bzrtools
  Pin: release o=Jeff Bailey,l=Jeff Bailey
  Pin-Priority: 50

I chose priority 50 because the manpage claims that this priority
"causes a version to be installed only if there is no installed
version of the package". Since there is a version installed,
I expect no upgrade candidate.

I verify these pins with `apt-cache policy`, but get a surprising
result:

  seamus:~> apt-cache policy bzr                                            [303]
  bzr:
    Installed: 0.8~200602200207
    Candidate: 0.8~200602281718
    Package Pin: 0.8~200602281718
    Version Table:
      0.8~200602281718 50
          500 http://people.ubuntu.com ./ Packages
  *** 0.8~200602200207 50
          100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
      0.7-2 50
          500 http://mouth.voxel.net ./ Packages

In all cases I've previously encountered, the three asterisks would
always correspond to the version identified on the /^Candidate:/
line. In the above case, however, it's different.

Can someone shine some light on what's going on? Could this be
related to the use of ~ in the version number?

And while we're at it, what's the meaning of the three asterisks, if
it's not identifying the candidate?

`. `'`

Invalid/expired PGP (sub)keys? Use subkeys.pgp.net as keyserver!

it is ok to let your mind go blank,
but please turn off the sound.