Re: APT HTTP Digest proxy

On Tue, May 17, 2005 at 12:22:12PM -0700, Giuseppe Scrivano wrote:
> Hi,
> I have a little patch that enable digest authorization scheme with HTTP proxies. It allows to use proxies with only the digest authorization(I had some problems with apt and the university LAN, they use squid with the digest scheme).
> I patched against apt version 0.5.28.6, files http.cc and http.h are in the methods subdirectory.

Could you be convinced to produce another version with all the
whitespace changes (and other spurious stuff) backed out? Also it
would be nice if you'd try to match the surounding coding style when
producing a patch.

I cannot speak for the ones who really have to decide about the
inclusion of the patch, but I find it pretty unreadable.

For example there are 50 lines of diff alone for WriteTillEl. My
personal painful experience shows that it's pretty easy to break
this function, so I'd like to see what -- if anything -- you changed
there.

Don't get me wrong, it's great that you coded up the patch and that
you share it with the whole community. You're just making it a _lot_
harder for other people to understand what your patch is doing.

So please send out another version with only relevant changes
included, probably also matching apt's coding style.

I know it's really dumb work, but you'd be making life easier for
everyone else who wants to read and understand your patch.

Thanks,
Christian 'Greek0' Aichinger