source management within APT

Hi!

I'm thinking about extending APT to explicitly manage source packages
automatically. Because I need to compile certain packages from source, either
due to the need of certain compile time options, optimizations or to apply my
own patches. I really would like this to be handled automatically by APT,
e.g. each time when doing 'apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade'.

My idea was to allow to explicitly define a list of packages in a APT config
file which should be compiled from source. That way all other packages (that
is the majority) are simply installed as always - using a binary package. But
for those explicity listed packages, APT will compile them from source and
install them afterwards automatically. Further more, for every package there
should be a way in a APT config file to define compile time options and
pathes to patches we should be applied (for own, custom patches).

Are there already efforts in that direction? Chances to be accepted for the
official APT if I work on this or are you strictly against such an approach?
If the latter is 'yes', please tell me why. And don't point me to Gentoo!

CU
Christian