Re: source management within APT

also sprach Christian Schoenebeck <schoenebeck@software-engineering.org> [2005.05.13.2110 +0200]:
> My idea was to allow to explicitly define a list of packages in
> a APT config file which should be compiled from source. That way
> all other packages (that is the majority) are simply installed as
> always - using a binary package. But for those explicity listed
> packages, APT will compile them from source and install them
> afterwards automatically. Further more, for every package there
> should be a way in a APT config file to define compile time
> options and pathes to patches we should be applied (for own,
> custom patches).

sounds like gentoo :)

but it would be cool to have, I think.

> Are there already efforts in that direction? Chances to be
> accepted for the official APT if I work on this or are you
> strictly against such an approach? If the latter is 'yes', please
> tell me why. And don't point me to Gentoo!

oops.

Well check out apt-build and apt-get source --compile. Also debaux
looks exactly like what you want, although it's not integrated into
APT the way you like it.

`. `'`

"perhaps debian is concerned more about technical excellence rather
 than ease of use by breaking software. in the former we may excel.
 in the latter we have to concede the field to microsoft. guess
 where i want to go today?"
                                                 -- manoj srivastava