weird APT problem with custom archives

Dear deity people,

I have been staring at this problem for three days now and remain
puzzled. I have two APT archives with the following sources.list
entries:

  deb http://debian.madduck.net ~madduck/packages/sponsor/
  deb-src http://debian.madduck.net ~madduck/packages/sponsor/

  deb http://debian.madduck.net ~madduck/packages/nmu/
  deb-src http://debian.madduck.net ~madduck/packages/nmu/

Sometime last week, out of the blue, these two started to wreak
havoc with APT on several of my machines. I am using APT 0.5.28.1:

  Reading Package Lists... Error!
  E: Unable to parse package file /var/lib/apt/lists/debian.madduck.net_%7emadduck_packages_sponsor_Release (1)
  E: Problem opening /var/lib/apt/lists/debian.madduck.net_%7emadduck_packages_nmu_Packages
  E: The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.

The first thing that's weird is that it tries to parse a Release
file as a package file. Then, it cannot open the second file even
though it's there and seems perfectly valid.

Since the problem is on more than one machine, I am beginning to
think it's my archive software (which sucks), but I did not make any
changes there, and it used to work just fine.

I'd really appreciate a whack over the head with the cluebat.

Thanks,

`. `'`

"'this must be a thursday,' said arthur to himself, sinking low over
 his beer.  'i never could get the hang of thursdays.'"
                                 -- hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy