Any way to tweak build apt-listchanges for testing

apt-listchanges is one of my favorite utilities.  Thanks to all the
developers.

This leads to my dilemma. I want it, but I don't have it.  I'm
wondering if I could tweak the build process a bit and get it working.

Background
----------

I recently updated apt to current testing (this was to fix a bug in
aptitude), and this knocked out apt-listchanges.  I really would like
to get it back.  It needs python 2.3, and that just won't migrate down
(I was watching the clock tick down on it, but I see now it's held up
because of build problems on various architectures.  I'm getting the
feeling the long wait will continue).

My system is basically testing level, though with lots of packages
less than current because of dependency issues.

I have python2.3 (2.2.106-2beta2) on my system.  It's just the python
package itself is not at 2.3 (unless the needed 2.3 features were not
present in the earlier releases?).

Plan
----

So I'm wondering if there's a way to get a working apt-listchanges on
my system with my current software.  I'm thinking of doing this
(building from source):
1) edit the control file to depend on python2.3 instead of python (>= 2.3).
2) maybe I need to update-alternatives to make 2.3 my default python?
or edit /usr/bin/python -> /usr/bin/python2.3 in the opening #! of all
the python files for apt-listchanges
3) build it and use it.

Nuts: I just noticed python-apt got zapped too; I guess I need to
solve that for apt-listchanges to work.  Maybe a similar strategy for
it?

As you can see, my basic thought is that since I have python 2.3, I
should be able to work around these problems.

Does this seem like a do-able strategy?  Or just asking for trouble?
Any tips?

Thanks.

P.S. If you could cc me it would be great, as I'm not a subscriber to
this list.  I will be checking it, though.