Re: apt-i18n (support for Translation files)

Michael Bramer <grisu@debian.org> writes:

> Hello

Hello Michael and others,

> Can you add the patch for the support for Translation files in apt?

The current patch is not ready for this yet. We need include some
missing features (like language code fallback, some speedup in code,
...) before this.

> Or should we make a extra apt-i18n package?

In IMHO is not the right thing since this change the and API of
library libapt-pkg and the client programs need be recompiled to works
with it. Result, we need not only apt-i18n but apititude-i18n,
gnome-apt-i18n, ... and doesn't look well to me.

We need some deity developper to look again in the diff,
provide comments and suggest improviments. This is the most important
thing right now.

If possivel, I want ask by Jason, Matt and Adam for look the code and
talk about how do what need better.

If we want to be released with sarge, more work need be done and
fast. Almost of code are stable and any user using this (I have
received some messages for many) found bugs in previous releases. When
I did the code I always try change less possible and test the
changes. I've used the patched version a lot, before release the first
experimental version.

I think, the best is create a branch for this and try include this in
0.6 (DDTP is a great improvement for current APT). We should try
include APT Segure on it too.

Thanks,
Otavio

--