Re: apt-i18n (support for Translation files)

On Thu, 21 Aug 2003, Otavio Salvador wrote:

> If possivel, I want ask by Jason, Matt and Adam for look the code and
> talk about how do what need better.

On that note, the new dpkg just got a step closer to having per-language
description fields.  The new control parser uses token pairs(start/length) for
both field name, and field value.  Because of this, description fields will
not be stored in memory, only their offset/length/source file.  Adding
additional per-language descriptions at that point is very simple.

> If we want to be released with sarge, more work need be done and
> fast. Almost of code are stable and any user using this (I have
> received some messages for many) found bugs in previous releases. When
> I did the code I always try change less possible and test the
> changes. I've used the patched version a lot, before release the first
> experimental version.

It won't be done for sarge, period.  It's too much work, on this short
time-table.