/etc/apt/preferences, package names, and wildcards

Hello,

	It doesn't appear that /etc/apt/preferences supports wildcards in
the package name field (and I can't find any reference to this in the
documentation).  I'm not referring to * for all packages, but rather vlc*
for all packages of the form vlc[stuff], e.g. vlc, vlc-gnome, vlc-sdl,
vlc-gtk, etc.

	Am I incorrect, or is this the case?  If I'm correct, is this simply
an unimplemented feature or a design decision?

	Thank you very much, and my eternal gratitude for apt.  It's truly a
wonderful program that's made my life much, much better.

	-Chris Lansdown

P.S. Has anyone written a graphical program to manage /etc/apt/preferences
yet (I saw in the manpage that it was intended to be manipulated by programs
as well as people), or does this still need to be written?

--
lansdoct@cs.alfred.edu -> http://cs.alfred.edu/~lansdoct/
"If I had had more time I would have written a shorter letter." - Pascal