Re: Patches for various crashers

Sorry for the long delay. I was busy with other stuff and with getting apt to work on Mac OS X 10.1 (turns out Apple broke mmap() since 10.0).

Jason Gunthorpe wrote:
On Sat, 8 Sep 2001, Christoph Pfisterer wrote:

 port my patches to 0.5.4 yet, but I will do so soon and send you the
 patches on request.

I think some of them I already found for 0.5.4, at least the tag file ones
sound familiar..

No, all of the problems are still there. I'll send a patch against CVS HEAD when I have one.

 > BTW, I'm assuming from the comments in COMPILING that you're not
 interested in my Darwin patches. In case you are, just let me know.

It would be interesting to see them, I'm not opposed to the concept, I
just want to see it done in a reasonable way.

I can understand that.

If your patches are primarily #ifdefs and junk like that then I probably
won't apply them, but changes to the configure script, and such are OK.
Since the code already runs on most things that claim POSIX conformance
I'd be dismayed if Darwin needs anything too special.

Unfortunately, Darwin is not a very friendly place to live in. I had to do some "bad hacks" to compensate for breakage in the C library and the C++ runtime. Since Darwin doesn't use ELF and apt doesn't use libtool, I had to hack the Makefiles to get it to build shared libraries. There's also the problem that static initializers aren't run automatically; the result is the same as when using the static library. I'll try to come up with a patch for that last one; referencing debSystem alone is not enough.

-chrisp

--
chrisp a.k.a. Christoph Pfisterer   "Any sufficiently advanced
cp@chrisp.de - http://chrisp.de      bug is indistinguishable