Re: Translating Debian packages' descriptions

On Sun, Sep 02, 2001 at 08:31:40AM +0200, Michael Bramer wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 01, 2001 at 11:19:42PM +0200, Richard Atterer wrote:
> > Furthermore, as mentioned before, translation packages have the
> > disadvantage that new Descriptions, i.e. _the_ones_you_are_most_likely
> > _to_look_at_, will *not* be translated because you haven't yet
> > downloaded the latest translation package.
>
> no. If you download the desc-trans-XX.de you have all translations
> from XX on your system. Not only the translations from the installed
> packages.

I'm aware of this - what I was getting at is something like
- a new package gets added to the archive
- translators update the desc-trans package with a translation
- J. Random Hacker does an apt-get update and then looks through the
  list of new packages for anything worth installing

In this case J. will *always* see English descriptions for the new
packages, since he hasn't upgraded the desc package yet.

> see my comments from a other proposal. Maybe we should make
> Descriptions-XX files (like the Packages files),

Yes, I think this might be the best thing to do. (In fact, there's
hardly a difference to the per-language Packages that I have been
proposing before.)

> get this with apt and make the po files with this files. This
> Descriptions files can maybe stored in one place per dist.
>

> Independent of the solution, we need some
>  - translated Packages file

What for? I thought with this new proposal all translated descriptions
end up in the Description-XX, and Packages contains the English
descriptions?

>  - Description-XX file (with translated descriptions)
>  - a desc-trans-XX.deb (with a po/mo file with translated
>    descriptions)
> if the user should see translated descriptions before he installed a
> package.

AIUI, the desc-trans-XX.deb contains "overrides" for outdated
descriptions in the source packages. But why put them in a separate
package when you can put them directly into the Description-XX file?

Cheers,

  Richard

--
  __   _