Re: Translating Debian packages' descriptions

On Sat, Sep 01, 2001 at 03:38:58PM +0200, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> Le Sat, Sep 01, 2001 at 02:17:01AM +0200, Richard Atterer écrivait:
> > With language-specific Packages files, there is no size issue.
>
> Sure there is. We'll have 50 Packages file where we have only one
> actually :
>
> $ find /mirror/debian -name 'Packages*' | xargs cat | wc -c
> 18940993
>
> And that's a mirror where we I only have i386. So multiply by 10 arch,
> then by 50 languages, and you get 10Gb of Packages file. We could reduce
> that if we remove uncompressed Packages but still ...
>
> And a good part of those packages files changes daily ... so the mirror
> need to download many data each day. That's not acceptable.

Oh, but you're not comparing this to the requirements for centralized
translation packages: If you do, there is no difference, *if* you
assume that the translation packages would also have to be released
per arch.

Furthermore, as mentioned before, translation packages have the
disadvantage that new Descriptions, i.e. _the_ones_you_are_most_likely
_to_look_at_, will *not* be translated because you haven't yet
downloaded the latest translation package.

You might argue that it's not necessary to make the translation
packages arch-dependent. I think that's debatable, as some arches are
way out of sync. gettext would help a bit, at the cost of depriving
those arches almost completely of *any* translation.

Cheers,

  Richard

--
  __   _