Browser, URL support

With all the websites out there sporting links to RPMs, I'm curious how this idea sounds. Make apt into a helper application for browsers (still text based is fine). Where a link on a page like:

http://www.somewhere.com/somepackage.apt

with a mime-type: application/x-apt, would get opened by apt. The contents of the file would be something like:

package somepackage
version 0.3.5
alt-deb http://ftp.somewhere.com/debian homebrewed main

apt could prompt you to be sure you want to install 'somepackage', then try to find the package in your normal locations in /etc/sources.list. If found in one of your current sources.list archives, and a specific version was requested as in this example, it would compare the version in the archive to the version requested. If found, but a version mismatch exists, it could prompt you if you'd like to install the alternate version.

Upon saying 'no' to that question it could then prompt you if you'd like to get the file from the location listed on the 'alt-deb' line. Assuming you're in an environment where some people have sudo priveledges to run apt, this last option should only be allowed if the actual user has write priveledges to /etc/sources.list. A good strong warning would be nice right about here. I don't fully understand the security mechanism in Linux or what the application knows about the user when being run from 'sudo', so I don't know if this is actually possible.

In an environment such as I'm using I could then tell mozilla that application/x-apt / .apt files are to be handled by 'xterm -c sudo apt-web-get %s'.

An alternative URL format could be used instead, to contain all the information I'm proposing be put into a separate file. Then I think I'd tell mozilla to use 'xterm -c sudo apt-web-get %u' ... I think.

Anyhow, with this, the fine people that have deb packages for their software can make it real easy for us to click and install from the web, while still maintaining the robustness and security of the deb/apt packaging system.

Ryan Warner