Re: how does apt build the URL from the source specification?

On Mon, Feb 05, 2001 at 06:11:20PM -0700, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:

> > Could you please specify the algorithm apt uses internally in pseudocode?
> Did you read the sources.list man page?

Yes. Alas, it wasn't much help at first. It's rather terse about source
lines where an absolute path was specified and thus the components were
omitted.

I think it would be advantageous if the man page described where apt expects
to find the Packages.gz file in both cases (absolute and relative path), and
what paths it expects in the Filename: lines of the Packages file.

> It is trivially simple.. you tack the first work onto the Filename: field
> in the Packages file.

I knew this worked for the official sources. I now know it works for most
others as well; what misled me was an unofficial apt source with a screwed
Packages file, where this approach didn't work, and consequently apt wasn't
able to download anything (which I didn't find out until after I sent my
original message - at first I thought I was doing something wrong).

Sorry to trouble you.

Andrew

--
            Andrew Korn (Korn Andras) <korn@chardonnay.math.bme.hu>