Re: Apt uses Packages file to determine dependancies

On Mon, 19 Apr 1999, Mark Brown wrote:

> The GTK-- package from gnome-stage-2 is built against glibc2.1.  Since I
> don't want to use glibc2.1 yet, I rebuilt the package against glibc2.0
> and installed it.  However, when looking at my system apt uses the
> information in the Packages file to determine what the dependancies of
> the package are.  As a result it claims my system has unmet dependancies
> in the installed packages and tries to stop me doing anything.

You are not actually supposed to create packages with the same version
number and different characteristics, it causes problems (like this)

Exactly how to deal with it is somewhat complex as well - having two
packages with the same version that have different dependencies is just
evil.