Apt uses Packages file to determine dependancies

The GTK-- package from gnome-stage-2 is built against glibc2.1.  Since I
don't want to use glibc2.1 yet, I rebuilt the package against glibc2.0
and installed it.  However, when looking at my system apt uses the
information in the Packages file to determine what the dependancies of
the package are.  As a result it claims my system has unmet dependancies
in the installed packages and tries to stop me doing anything.

apt should probably be giving piority to the data in dpkg's database,
instead of the Packages files.

All this in apt 0.3.4.

            http://www.tardis.ed.ac.uk/~broonie/