Re: GUI for apt/apt-get

On Sun, 19 Dec 1999, Salman Ahmed wrote:

> Haven't seen any of Stormix so can't comment on what they have done
> although based on what I have read their GUI interface to the pkg-mgmt
> system sounds nice.

Imagine dselect done in GTK. That is literally what it is.

> So the question now is: if I am interested in getting involved with a
> GUI to APT, how and where do I start ?

I would go for gnome-apt..

> You said that Gnome-APT needs work. My preference would be to work on a
> GUI that was GNOME/KDE-neutral. Granted Debian seems to prefer Gtk over
> Qt which would then lead to a Gnome-compliant app!!

My understanding is that it is not that gnome, I think it might have used
a gnome widget or something like that - I think it is largely a GTK
application.

Note though that none of these widget libraries have a really scalable
tree widget. Havoc wrote his own for gnome-apt but otherwise it is
difficult. Using the common tree model that APT GUIs like to use can give
over 100k entries in a tree at full expansion :|

Deity is the legendary pre-gtk GUI that never got finished, screenshots at
http://www.debian.org/~jgg/deity/. It uses a custom widget library.