Re: Upgrading Slink to Potato

On Wed, 14 Jul 1999, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:

> On Wed, 14 Jul 1999, Dale Scheetz wrote:
> > 1. If you have apt installed, libc6 will not upgrade, as it conflicts with
> > older versions of apt. This may place a catch 22 for those who wish to use
> > apt for the upgrade. You may need to upgrade apt and libc6 together using
> > dpkg from the command line. Once I removed the old version of apt, dselect
> > was able to upgrade libc6 with no further problems.
> <groan>
> There are two options here,
>   1 - Link potato's APT with the old libc
>   2 - Try to Fix the bug that Richard found and remove the conflicts
> Which should we do?

Well, since I have no ideas about the bug fix, I would suggest number 1.

Seems to me the installation/upgrade software should run in the old
environment, _and_ the new. Will a slink-linked apt run on a potato libc6?

I got the impressiong that the apt I had installed was the slink version.
If libc6 conflicts with it for reasons of libc linkage, recompiling
potato's version of apt isn't likely to resolve the issue is it?