nfs mounted archives

Mounting the "archive" directory from nfs does not easily succeed.  The lock
file cannot be grabbed.  I've made a grungy work-around on my machine by
making the lock file a symlink to /tmp, but this is obviously a clumsy and
dangerous hack.  Could a less-stringent form of locking be made?

I have 3 machines connected via a dialup line to the internet.  Using a proxy
would work, but I'd rather just keep the archives around until they are
surplanted by others.

It would also be nice to delete obsolete packages (ie, ones with newer versionfrom the cache (which I would rather not "clean" because of the slowness of
the link).

How difficult would these changes be?

Jason Neudorf