Re: gnome-apt screenshot, more questions

On Nov 26, Havoc Pennington decided to present us with:

> > (checkboxes vs. radio buttons)
>
> They are just a picture. The whole tree is a big picture with hot-spots.

I see. I'd think there is a better way to do this, but you
surely researched before making the choice, so I'll shut up. :-)

> > > I like this, I don't want to make it a separate thing though, just put it
> > > in with the other status info. Since this is both info and a UI at the
> > > same time.
> >
> > Where?
>
> On the info panel...

I see. This is where we have the package name and short
description right?

Well, in the default display mode (assuming that the default is
a HPaned on the bottom) it isn't really a separate thing - er,
it is, but it doesn't look like :-) Since it's separated from
the rest by just a hseparator.

But logically (program-wise) it's nice to have it as a separate
thing so you can choose to put it elsewhere when we want to go
to customization (later). For example, in vertical view it looks
better to have the name-and-short-description on the top,
everything else (notebook or not) in the middle and the actions
on the bottom (as I described with my ugly ASCII art).

> > (libgdeb)
>
> I'd rather just put gdeb in the gnome-apt source tree, and link some of
> the same files - that way we don't have to keep up with this library.

Yes, maybe. What do other people think?

> You may want to look at my source code before you write too much, in case
> they don't mesh well...

I will. Just didn't have too much incentive for downloading
something I won't be able to compile :-) But now I have, since I
want your data structures and I want to make things "mesh well".

Actually I think I'm going to switch to C++ like the rest of
libapt, so I can use libapt's classes and overridden functions.
I never liked C anyway. :-)

[YES! I did it! A message under 100 lines! :-)]

[]s,
                                               +----
--
     And the sign said the words of the prophets
 are written on the subway walls and tenement halls