Re: gnome-apt screenshot, more questions

On Fri, 27 Nov 1998, Lalo Martins wrote:

> Not exactly "just" cosmetics. Maybe I'm an UI purist, but it's a
> widely accepted UI concept is that if something looks like a
> checkbox then it has to be a checkbox, so that users don't get
> confused.

Well it is a checkbox too... I don't know. I just think the little round
or diamond-shaped buttons are stupid looking, and the square ones are
nice. So I get to keep them until we leave beta. :-)

> (Also, it would be easier for you to use radio buttons, since
> you're spending a lot of code to duplicate their functionality,
> and that code will have to be maintaned)

Can't use widgets.

> Sorry, I don't get it. Aren't the checkbox widgets too? And
> customized widgets even, since they behave like checkboxes?
> Well, whatever :-)

They are just a picture. The whole tree is a big picture with hot-spots.

> So could you put it at the bottom or left by default please? :-)
> [Unless someone disagrees]

OK I will change the main paned from an VPaned to an HPaned.

> > I like this, I don't want to make it a separate thing though, just put it
> > in with the other status info. Since this is both info and a UI at the
> > same time.
>
> Where?

On the info panel...

> No, I'm talking about "libgdeb" :-) Get back to the shots if you
> wish. The idea is that the code to figure this info and display
> it will be in a small lib that will be used by gnome-apt and
> gdeb (and whoever else wants). So I add more gdeb_*_new functions
> to retrieve the pseudo-widget in some form other than a
> notebook. Wait and see; in the meanwhile concentrate on the tree
> :-)

I'd rather just put gdeb in the gnome-apt source tree, and link some of
the same files - that way we don't have to keep up with this library.

You may want to look at my source code before you write too much, in case
they don't mesh well...

Havoc