Re: Wow.. it almost works

On 12 Nov 1998, Ben Gertzfield wrote:

>     Ben> I think that for 0.3, I should at least set up the stubs for
>     Ben> a libapt-pkg and libapt-pkg-dev package in debian/rules, and
>     Ben> only actually use them when the package gets moved out of
>     Ben> experimental.
>
>     Jason> I fear that even in stable we will have version problems -
>     Jason> it is the same issue every libray faces.. If fixing a bug
>     Jason> means adding a new variable to a structure then you have to
>     Jason> bump the soname because they are no longer binary
>     Jason> compatible.
>
> Are you sure? Should a library really depend on structures and not
> functions/methods -- ESPECIALLY a C++ library? Why are we using
> a library if this is changing so often, then?

Well, already the library is used by 7 (working on 10) apt programs so yes
it makes a lot of sense to have a shared library.

As for using a design more resilient to binary incompatibility.. that is a
-vastly- more complex subject that not many people tackle and is certianly
not something you want to attempt with C++. Yes there are solutions (SOM,
COM, padding, shear force of will, etc) but they all have enough issues to
make them not worth while for this.